Google
WWW This Blog Only

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

 

Tabla Fixation


So this is about an excursion to get my old old tabla fixed. This tabla has been unused for over 10 years, and thanks to my Mom's chronic tendency to accumulate stuff, has been kept in a shelf for all that time. Inspired by all the fusion and tablatronic and tabla-beats-science stuff I've been listening too, I have decided to bring the thing over to the US.

The place I am looking for is called Ganesh Vadyalaya (vadya = musical instrument, alaya = home, as in Him-alaya = home of snow). It's supposedly located in a public Municipal market close to my place. We park the car and dive into the market looking for it.

Finally! The store is not one you shall see on the internet. In fact, it's likely they've never heard of the internet. Not that they care, they seem to be known by word-of-mouth. It's just a little space on the corner of the market, surrounded by vegetable vendors. Here's the store owner examining my poor neglected tabla, and trying to figure out what does NOT need fixing.

After negotiating the details of the tabla fixing (which shall cost me a whopping $15, to replace practically everything but the body; a brand-new tabla would cost about $40), the store owner is kind enough to show me a few details of tabla manufacture. His three craftsmen gladly oblige to pose for my following videos.












Ek Cup Chai



Whew, that was quite an experience! And I need to chill out...what's better than a local chaiwalla, and a hot cup of "special" masala chai? Ok, so now you, my gentle non-mumbaikar reader, you shall be introduced to the glossary of ordering ek cup chai in Mumbai.


So now, intrepid reader, you are fully aware of how to get your chai fix in Mumbai. So next time you're in here, go for it: "ek cutting peshal chai boss, adrak maarke".

How much is that gonna cost, you ask? 2 rupees, 50 paise for 1 full cup of kickass chai. (For those interested in the math: 1 USD = 45 INR). Starbucks, anyone?

Comments:
this is interesting....and make me really want to go there again... hopefully it'll be this summer!
Estelle
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?