Google
WWW This Blog Only

Friday, September 08, 2006

 

Culture clash experience

At my weekly Middle-Eastern drum circle today, I found myself listening to this most amusing conversation. Our instructor started relating his recent experience of attending a very fancy Indian wedding as part of a traditional band (he is a white dude who plays all kinds of drums really well, including the Indian tablas etc, and runs a really great multi-ethnic performance troupe). Here it goes (emphasis my own, of course).

Instructor: So I was playing the tablas at this very fancy and HUGE Indian wedding last weekend. It was really quite fascinating. I haven't seen a wedding this big in a while.

Other guy: How many people?

Instructor: At least 400, maybe 500 people. It was a really traditional wedding. Not only in terms of the ceremony, but it was also an (with dramatic pause) arranged wedding.

Everyone else: (awestruck) Wow!

Instructor: In fact, it was so arranged that the bride did not smile at all through the entire wedding, not one time.

Other guy: Was she at least over 18, I mean, she wasn't like 12 or something, right?

Instructor: No, not at all, she was in her early 20s, at least that's what they said.

(Everyone heaves a palpable sigh of relief).

The only thing I heard for some time after that was the sound of my own head spinning. I had no idea where to even start bridging this cultural chasm...

Comments:
unbelievable. :) i'm glad you posted it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?